Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sensory Play: Remember Gak?

Do you remember Gak?  It was that slimy stuff they sold back in the day.  Who knew that a little cornstarch, water, and food coloring could make something pretty similar?

Let me begin by saying, yes, this is MESSY.

However, not quite as messy as I thought.  

It peels right off of the table and comes off of hands super easy.  Well, except for the food coloring I used.  Hopefully Bumble enjoys having purple fingers for a few days.

I have been pulling ideas from The Toddler's Busy Book and we have been having a great time.  I don't know about you, but I just run out of ideas and I get tempted to just let the girls watch Disney Junior for hours.  This has happened.  I won't lie.  This book has helped though and we had a blast making a mess.

Bumble was not so sure about getting her hands "all messy".  She is the girliest thing ever, but once I got my hands in it and showed her she ended up playing in it for hours.  She was fascinated with how it felt like a solid and then when she lifted her hands it would slime between her fingers to become a liquid.  

I was pretty fascinated by it too :)

Cornstarch, Water, Food Coloring, and a Bowl

We put the cornstarch in a bowl.  I didn't go by exact amounts.  We just mixed the water with the cornstarch until we got a slimy consistency.

Bumble stirred...Hoot watched...and ate Cheerios...what else?

We started off with pink coloring...Bumble's choice.


Then we got a little crazy and added orange.

Then blue...



Which ended up making purple...

It was slimy coming down, but more of a solid in the bowl.



 
It was pretty cool once we poured it out on the placemat.  It peeled up and then would slide back together.

Here's the book I mentioned earlier:



Amber

pinterestfacebookemail



No comments:

Post a Comment