Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bird Painting: Using Heavy Gel

This week, during my MOMS group, we painted pumpkins.  I really enjoyed it and it made me remember how much I missed painting.  I didn't bring too much when we moved into our apartment due to lack of space and just honestly feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Most of my art supplies are in storage so I haven't been super inspired to dig into painting.  However, after painting the pumpkin it was on!  

Yesterday, the girls were napping, football was on, my hubby went running, and I decided to pull out the paints.  One of my favorite things to use is Gloss Heavy Gel from Liquitex.  There is a lot you can do with this stuff.  It thickens your paints, adds texture, and a little bit of gloss.  I love how it makes my acrylics last a little longer too.




There are a few ways you can go about doing this.  You can take the gel and spread it across your canvas.   I LOVE using a palette knife.

Or you can mix the gel with a color.  The color doesn't change, but it spreads out your paint so it lasts longer and gives you that texture.


Okay, so in storage I have a projector that I use for writing text on canvases.  I freehand sometimes, but I love being able to pick from hundreds of different fonts.  With my projector being in storage I had to find a new way.  I used GIMP to type up the text and then mirrored it, which flipped it horizontally.

Then, I put the sheet of text facedown on my canvas.  So, unlike this picture shows, flip your paper so the ink-side is touching your canvas.

Take a pencil and trace it.  I had to press hard as I did it and I would peel it up as I went to see if it was going through.  It was faint, but it worked!



This is the almost finished product.

I LOVE this Gloss Varnish from Liquitex.  It not only protects your paintings, but gives it that just finished, glossy, wet look.




Happy painting!

Amber
facebookpinterestemail

8 comments:

  1. That is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com Author of Tadeo Turtle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. This technique looks easy enough for me to try. Thanks for sharing. I hopped over from Fancy This Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool, I want to try some of that gloss heavy gel, what fun!! Don't you just love football season :) Thanks for the idea and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Janis: Thank you so much! @Keitha: It is very easy! Definitely give it a try. Thank you for stopping by! @momprojects: Yes, definitely give it a go. I absolutely love football season. I even just like having it on the TV while I do other things. It just feels right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous! My sister and I have "art therapy" every few months where we pull out some canvases and paint together. This looks like something we could handle. Thanks so much for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the painting! I have never used the gel, but will have to give it a try...looks awesome! I am a new follower, would love if you could follow back http://churchstreetdesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful! amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this great project to my Totally Tuesday Link Party. Just wanted to say thanks and let you know it was featured this month! Come check it out: http://madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/11/october-totally-tuesday-wrap-up.html
    Hugs!- Morgaine

    ReplyDelete